Dandelions and tall fescue don’t mix. Literally.

Check out the two pictures below. The one one the left shows a strip of perennial ryegrass infested with dandelions, but the surrounding tall fescue is dandelion free. The p. rye and t. fescue were planted at the same time and have been managed identically for the past five years. The picture on the right is of a stand of Kentucky bluegrass (left side of picture) next to a stand of tall fescue (on the right). While the effect is less dramatic, it’s clear that the left side has dandelions while the right side does not. I’ve also noticed this effect in my tall fescue lawn – my neighbors have dandelions and I don’t. But I do have plenty of clover, which also has infested the tall fescue in the pictures below.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dandelions and tall fescue don’t mix. Literally.

1. Carol Morley says:

So what is the secret to get rid of the clover? I have read that clover loves soil that is low in nitrogen which is most lawns that are not fertilized regularly.

Any suggestions to get rid of the clover and not kill the grass?

• djsoldat says:

Clover often out-competes other plants in unfertilized lawns. It adds nitrogen to the soil, so is sometimes viewed as a desirable species in a low-maintenance mix. Regular fertilization (three times per year) will decrease clover, and the herbicide MCPP is a very effective chemical control for clover. MCPP is an ingredient in many herbicides available at garden centers.